How can I improve the design to positively impact purchase rates without negative impact to the long term user experience?
This was a design challenge provided by Mercari. I am not affiliated with the company.
Usability Testing | Competitive Analysis | Card Sorting | Wireframing| Prototyping | Sketch | Photoshop | Principle
Before starting the task, I needed to understand who I was designing for. Since Mercari is an app centered around the buying and selling of second-hand goods (with a majority of items being clothes and accessories), I made the assumption that their main demographic is females in their 20s and 30s.
I asked five females to think outloud and walk me through a hypothetical purchase using the original design. Here were a few insights I gathered from the tests:
To understand what users felt were most important when making a purchasing decision, I did a card sort with eight females ranging in age from 24 to 32, who often shop online and have bought second-hand items.
Here are some of my takeaways based on the card sort findings:
To have a better understanding of the market, I looked at several popular ecommerce apps including Amazon, Ebay, Poshmark, OfferUp, Etsy, Tradesy and Wish to get an idea of what others were doing well and what could be improved.
To brainstorm different layouts, I created some wireframes. I put a lot of the emphasis on arranging the most important information in a way that makes sense.
Redesigning the Mercari app was a fun challenge that I really enjoyed because the ecommerce industry is one I can personally relate to having started my own online store and a space I find very interesting. Having a good understanding of the user was very important and influenced a lot of the design decisions I made. Although I would be considered Mercari's target market since I am a young female who has used apps to shop, I made it a point not to design based on assumptions of my own shopping habits. I was surprised to learn through the card sorting that 'message the seller' ranked very low on the list, but was a main CTA in the original version.
If I were to move forward with this project, I would validate the new design through user testing and make additional iterations to it.